Origin 8.5.1 Graphing
From OriginLab Wiki
|Revision as of 02:38, 30 January 2011 (edit)
Snowli (Talk | contribs)
(→Mask/Data Selector Improvements)
← Previous diff
|Revision as of 02:49, 30 January 2011 (edit) (undo)
Deanna (Talk | contribs)
Next diff →
|Line 30:||Line 30:|
|== Polar Graph Improvements ==||== Polar Graph Improvements ==|
|CW/CCW Radio Button now remembers its state||CW/CCW Radio Button now remembers its state|
|Line 36:||Line 37:|
|:'''CW CCW'''||:'''CW CCW'''|
|== Box Chart Improvements ==||== Box Chart Improvements ==|
|Support for Mean Line has been added. This will draw a line at the mean value of the data, across the box. If data is also displayed with the box, the mean line will cover both data and box. When the mean line is turned on, a Line tab appears which can then be used to customize the line settings.||Support for Mean Line has been added. This will draw a line at the mean value of the data, across the box. If data is also displayed with the box, the mean line will cover both data and box. When the mean line is turned on, a Line tab appears which can then be used to customize the line settings.|
Revision as of 02:49, 30 January 2011
More built-in color palettes are available, along with options to make it easier to select and modify them. Find a new palette icon on the style toolbar, which can be used to add or edit a graph's color palette. Features to explore:
- Apply palettes anywhere you would use increment color or a color map, including surface and contour plots, bar charts, matrix data (in image mode), and matrix thumbnails
- Apply palettes directly from the toolbar, without having to open Plot Details dialog
- Change a palette with a single click
Improved Layer Contents Dialog
The Layer Contents Dialog has been replaced by an improved version with the following key features:
- Graph: Layer Contents menu added.
- Select Graph: Add Plots to Layer or double click Layer icon will open Layer Contents dialog, instead of Plot Setup dialog.
- The dialog is organized with left and right panels. The left panel lists available columns/matrix/loose dataset depending on the Available Dataset dropdown list. The right panel displays existing dataset in layer.
- Both panels display useful information of dataset in table, such as workbook, worksheet, column labels, plot type, etc. User can right click and customize what to show, making it easier to find desired data. Clicking header of columns will sort entries based on the selected column. The settings will be remembered when reopening the dialog.
- Plot Type button is added in the middle panel, allowing user to specify plot type to use when adding dataset to Graph. "A" indicates auto, which will add the plot using correct style holder in the template or using applicable plot type. E.g. when adding Z data to a 3D graph from Matrix, 3D Line plot type will be used.
- Double click data on left panel will add plot. Double click data on right panel will change Plot Type.
- Plot Setup and Layer Properties buttons in the Layer Contents dialog open those respective dialogs and close the Layer Contents dialog.
- Easy to group/upgroup, move data or change plot type on the right panel.
Tick Location from Dataset
New controls have been added to the Scale tab of the Axis dialog to specify datasets for tick locations. The controls are in a new group called "Tick Location" and user can specify both major and minor tick label locations using datasets.
The following picture shows the bottom X axis ticks and labels specified using column C of the worksheet. The top axis has been turned on and then additionally the labels for the top axis have been set to Tick Indexed dataset to column D to show an associated label.
Box Chart Improvements
Support for Mean Line has been added. This will draw a line at the mean value of the data, across the box. If data is also displayed with the box, the mean line will cover both data and box. When the mean line is turned on, a Line tab appears which can then be used to customize the line settings.
Histogram and Frequency Count Improvements
For Histogram plot, the following changes have been made in Plot Details:
- On the Data tab, a new control for Number of Bins has been added
- A "Go to Bin Worksheet" button has been added to Data tab. This will open Bin Data worksheet. Hint has also been added to inform user that they can use the Counts column in the Bin Worksheet for fitting the histogram
We also intend to add the Bin Worksheet as a visible worksheet in the same workbook as the data sheet, but this has not been implemented yet.
For the Frequency Counts X-Function dialog, a Number of Bins control has been added.
Error Bar Plot Improvements
Mask/Data Selector Improvements
- Add Mask Data Points menu under Data menu.
- Mask by rectangle used to mask by index instead of the rectangle shape, so that if the data isn't monotonic, data outside the rectangle will be selected. Now Mask selector have 3 shapes. User can press Space keyboard to toggle the shapes.
- Improved the speed of masking large data.
- Improved the speed of masking large data.
- Improved the hint about data selection on Status bar, so that user knows he can use Edit: Copy or Ctrl+C to copy data in selected region.
Improvements on Group tab and Increment Editor
There are context menus on Group tab of Plot Details dialog but are kind of hidden and limited. Improvements on Group tab include:
- Allowing saving and loading increment list. In the past, user has to click ... to go to the corresponding Increment Editor to do so. Also depending on the property of the row, applicable Increment lists shown in Load Increment List context menu.
- Change the context menus "Nested" and "Concerted" to be standard with radio in front of them.
- The context menu also shows in gray area under the table
Improvements in Increment Editor include:
- Add 5 commonly used buttons show in the dialog, Move Up, Move Down, Move to Top, Move to Bottom, and Delete.
- Support move and delete mulitple entries together.